Create Your First Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 Instance Using Azure Portal
- Azure Subscription
Creating First Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 2 Instance
Step 1 - Open the Azure portal (portal.azure.com).
Step 2 - As Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 2 is built on top of Azure Blob Storage, there is no separate Azure Service for Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 2, unlike Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 1.
To create Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 2, an Azure Storage Account is created and then the setting for “Hierarchical Namespace” is enabled. This process will convert the normal Azure Storage Account into Azure Data Lake Storage Gen 2 Account.
Step 2.1 - To Create an Azure Data Lake Gen2 Instance, first click on the “Create a resource” icon from the Azure services.
Step 2.2 - Type “storage account” and select the only option “Storage account”.
Step 2.3 - Now, click on the “Create” button.
Step 2.4 - Provide the following information in the “Basics” tab of the “Create a storage account” page -
“Project Details” Section -
- Subscription - Select the proper “Subscription” to use from the Dropdown.
- Resource Group - Select “RG-Storage” from the Dropdown of “Resource Group”.
“Instance Details” Section -
- Storage account name - Type “adlsoindrila2022march” in the Textbox for “Storage account name”.
- Region - Select “(Asia Pacific) Central India” from the Dropdown of “Region”.
- Performance - Select the Radiobutton Option “Standard: Recommended for most scenarios (general-purpose v2 account)”.
- Redundancy - Select the Default Selected Option “Geo-redundant storage (GRS)” in the Dropdown.
Make sure that the Checkbox, just below the Dropdown of “Redundancy” is “Selected”.
Step 2.5 - Go to the “Advanced” tab, scroll down to the “Data Lake Storage Gen2” section, and, select the Radiobutton “Enable hierarchical namespace”.
Step 2.6 - Finally, click on the “Review + create” button.
Step 2.7 - Once, the message “Validation passed” is displayed, click on the “Create” button.
The Azure Storage Account Instance will start to deploy now.
Step 2.8 - Once the Deployment is completed, click on the “Go to resource” button. If this button is disabled, click on the “Refresh” link. The “Go to resource” button will be enabled.
Step 2.9 - The just created Azure Storage Account “adlsoindrila2022march” settings page is opened.